Thursday, September 29, 2011

Took A Break From Social Media

I had to take a break from social media. All those mindless platitudes and quotes to show how clever you can be were getting on my nerves. I like information I can use. Facebook may be the 300 pound gorilla in the room but it isn't paying my bills.  The endless changes are making it a job just to stay current without the resulting cash flow.

Notice how everyone's a social media expert these days. I'm in the beta group for everything Google rolls out. Yet, when I talk to these experts, they know less than I do. I'm almost getting to the point I don't want to go to networking events here in Arizona because most of the people who come are one of three professions, ie real estate, social media or a consultant. Notice none of them are producing anything. Although I did recently meet a charming young attorney whose practicing immigration and bankruptcy law which is near and dear to my heart as that's how I started out. I suggested she add business and go obtain certification in immigration by the American Bar Assocation. I hope she takes that free advice to heart.

I network like most people breathe, its second nature for me. You tell me you interested in turning waste into fuel, my mind will immediately go to sources for you to obtain the product as well as potential buyer. I had a woman once tell me I knew you were ill when you told me "I don't know". She went on to state she had never asked me a question I couldn't give her a resource for. I never thought about it until she told me that. Her comment made me realize what a resource person I am. I love knowledge for the sake of knowledge, an a voracious reader and information gather. I've prepped folks for encounters with other cultures both in the US and while they were overseas. More importantly my background in law and research makes me keep checking until I've confirmed the info to my satisfaction.

So now I'm setting down and putting pen to paper to monetize this skill as the new catch phrase goes. I'm not getting any younger and can't keep giving the info away. Smile

I haven't added any pictures because B'girl wasted nail polish remover on the laptop keyboard. Now I have to go buy another computer, a process I put up there with going to the dentist or the auto repair shop. That's what I'll be doing this weekend. Smile

Hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment