Saturday, December 31, 2011

Kwanzaa Day 6 KUUMBA Creativity

Habari Gani              Response Kuumba

Kwanzaa Day 6 Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah) Creativity


This should be a special day for all the artists who follow my blog but everyone has creativity in some fashion. Are you the go to person when folks need to know how to decorate for an event, do public relations for an event, raise money to buy instruments, or bake goods for the church bazaar. Well guess what you that's your Creativity.

I am amazed when people look at my work and say I can't do that I don't have a creative bone in my body. My response is always what do you like doing? As we talk I find that the people who say this first are some of the most creative. I am amazed at the creative people who make this statement. Usually its the people who are the most creative in their community. Creativity is not always working with your hands. To me its using your mind's power to make something come into being. School needs to raise $5,000 to refurbish the playground. You pull the various parties together, raise the money and get the job completed. Organize a neighborhood cleanup and get it done. Yes, my dear you are very creative. So don't sell yourself short.

Kuumba asks us to make the community more beautiful. Everyone admires your yard or garden, then SHARE with the community how you do it. All of us do not have green thumbs so we NEED the help. Smile. What ever you can do to make the community more beautiful then do it. Start in your own space no matter how small its yours and go from there to the larger community.

You are not an island, go out into the larger community and make a difference.

Today is also the day for the Karamu feast (http://bit.ly/sRrv1S). I use this time to bring friends together early enough so they can go out to celebrate before the New Year comes in.

Peace
Michelle








No comments:

Post a Comment