Monday, December 27, 2010

Kwanzaa Celebration

We attended a Kwanzaa celebration hosted by Delta Sigma Theta sorority (No, I'm not  Delta). at a local church.  The first day of Kwanzaa is Umoja. Unfortunately here in the Valley this and one other celebration were both on the same day at the same time . I have not been able to find any other celebrations. I am accustomed to taking my children to a different celebration each night. The fail safe is always the Shrine of the Black Madonna church which has an event for all seven days and culminates on New Years Day. This is such a beautiful way to bring in the New Year as a community.

For 2011 I will organize a day and ask other groups to take a day to keep the spirit of community going. Kwanzaa is such a beautiful way to celebrate community. The community coming together aspect of it is why its been picked up by so many other cultures and countries.

May you have a Blessed week as we head into the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment